For those of you who are new here, I am a big fan of eggs. If I was left stranded on an island and only had a few foods to choose from, eggs would be at the top of my list. While there’s obviously many ways to eat eggs, poached or baked eggs are my favorite.
Baked eggs aren’t anything new, but what I love about them is it’s an easy way to add some veggies to your day. It’s recommended to eat 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day yet according to the Center for Disease Control American adults only average 1.6 servings of vegetables a day.
While there are many reasons Americans aren’t eating enough of these colorful plants, one issue is time. People are busy and having to chop and prepare vegetables when you aren’t used to doing it can be challenging.
That’s where the baked egg comes in. You can add something as simple as kale or spinach or chop up mushroom, onions, zucchini…really whatever you like. It’s an easy way to add a vegetable first thing in the morning.
Baking eggs is an easy, no-fuss way to make them. You can have your eggs cooking in the oven while you get ready in the morning and have a healthy hot meal before you walk out the door. I like to use kale or spinach with fresh herbs because it’s that much easier. No chopping vegetables, you can just tear the kale into bite side pieces and quickly chop your herbs or replace with dried herbs.
In the end you get a beautiful egg breakfast with a serving of vegetables giving you healthful nutrients and antioxidants to start your day on the right track. Give it a try.
PREP TIME: 8 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
TOTAL TIME: 23 mins
RECIPE TYPE: Breakfast
SERVES: 1 egg, can add more ramekins to make more eggs
- ½ teaspoon butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Kale leaf, tear bite sized pieces away from the stem
- ¼ teaspoon fresh Rosemary, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon fresh Thyme, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the inside of a ramekin with butter or oil. Add the kale or any other vegetables you’re going to use.
- Add a cracked egg, salt and herbs.
- Place ramekin into a baking dish and pour hot water to create a bath around the ramekins
- Place the pan on the center rack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the yolk is cooked to your preference.