Getting ample fruits and vegetables on the table every day is a challenge for many. The average American eats 3 servings of fruits and vegetables a day with only one being vegetables. One of the goals of this blog is to showcase recipes that make it easy and tasty. This recipe accomplishes the task.
Sometimes when you combine simple ingredients together something magical happens. I feel this way with this recipe. The flavor of caramelized onions with balsamic and goat cheese is, for lack of creative writing, so. good. It’s just one of those flavor combinations that is so simple but works so well together.
Spinach is such a powerhouse vegetable too, loaded in Vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. You don’t have to eat plain old cooked spinach, in just 5 minutes you can have so much more.
What I love most is the simplicity of this salad. You do have to cook but only for a few minutes to caramelize your onions. The rest is toss and go. Perfect, easy side dish for any meal.
- One 10-ounce bag baby spinach
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese (or feta)
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach and goat cheese; set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and saute until it's softened and starting to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Pour the oil-onion mixture over the spinach and feta.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add the vinegar and the remaining tablespoon of oil; whisk together.
- Pour the oil-vinegar dressing over the spinach mixture, and toss to coat everything evenly (the spinach will wilt slightly). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.