Thanksgiving has passed. The glory days of sweet potatoes are over until next November. Unless you try this amazing sweet potato soup. It is creamy, naturally sweet, and it has a little fiery kick from cayenne pepper. I even won my first recipe contest with this soup!
As a foodie first, and dietitian second, I definitely believe in eating food because it tastes good, not solely because of it’s health benefits. This is why you will not find me chugging green smoothies or downing tasteless protein bars. This soup gets me really excited because it is winning in both categories. Not only is it vegan, but its packed with calcium, healthy fats and vitamin A. Not to mention pepita seeds are the perfect vegetarian food! They are a great source of iron, magnesium, and protein! No need to go light on these soup toppings!
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stocks celery, diced
- carrots, chopped (about ½ C)
- 2 TBSP vegetable or coconut oil
- 5 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 32 oz. vegetable broth plus 1 C water
- 2 cups milk - almond, coconut or dairy
- Pepita seeds for topping (pumpkin seeds, optional)
- Make mirepoix by dicing first three vegetables.
- Add oil to large soup pot. Add veggies when the oil is hot. Simmer on low while peeling and chopping sweet potato.
- Add chopped sweet potato and spices (salt, pepper, cayenne pepper). Add vegetable broth and water, turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Check potatoes with a fork, if soft blend soup with an immersion blender or pour into regular blender.
- Add milk. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot topped with pepita seeds..
Heather Mason is a Registered Dietitian who holds a Master’s Degree in Nutrition Science. She has a passion for debunking nutrition myths and helping people discover delicious and healthy food. You can read more posts from her on her blog, Nutty Nutrition.