Hi! Glad you are visiting Real Living Nutrition and my web page! I really love this program and the concepts of making small changes that add up to a big difference in how you feel and look! I don’t like restrictive diets, as I believe they can backfire and increase your cravings and focus on food. This program lets you enjoy all foods, just in a healthy balance. Helping people overcome emotional eating is something I love working with, because it incorporates both my nutrition and counseling experiences. Plus, I love working with stress management, which I can use in this program to encourage exercise and other stress reducers.
I have been a Licensed/Registered Dietitian for 19 years, and in 2000, went back to school and received a Masters in Counseling. I am also a Licensed Professional Counselor, Mental Health Service Provider in the state of TN. I have a private practice in the Memphis, TN area where I see clients individually for nutrition and counseling, specializing in weight loss/management and eating disorders. I also work as a therapist and dietitian for an intensive out-patient eating disorder program.
Fun Facts About Me
- I have been married for sixteen years and have three children, ages 13, 11, and 6. I grew up in Mississippi. My husband and kids and I have lived in Tennessee, Texas, and Kentucky, and then Tennessee again!
- I have two children with type I diabetes who are on insulin pumps. I understand the challenges of living with chronic diseases, as well as having to monitor every bite that goes into your children’s mouth!
- My morning routine consists of drinking a glass of coffee, which my husband refers to as “fudgesicle in a cup” because I put lots of sugar and cream in it, and sitting and enjoying some quiet time.
- I married a CPA, who later went to seminary and is now a United Methodist pastor and we enjoy being very active in a Christian community.
- I enjoy gardening, especially growing a small 4ft x 4 ft plot of veggies. (I use the Square Foot Garden approach that feeds a family of four on that small space!) I also enjoy doing crafts and crocheting. Plus, I’m a soccer, baseball, and gymnastics mom and go to lots of games!
- I also enjoy cooking and baking, though lately the recipes have to be very quick and kid friendly!
- I’ve authored Food for Thought Conversation Cards, which are questions to get families talking at meals, plus Month at a Glance Meals, a menu system with recipes and shopping lists.
Want to Work with Sylvia?
Just enter her Registered Dietitian Code when you register for one of our programs
Code #: 3024