One of the best strategies for weight control is to control hunger. Don’t forget to plan for your snacks everyday. Healthy snacking is a great way to keep yourself satisfied and it helps you control your appetite at meals. If you allow yourself to get too hungry, you are bound to overeat.
Keep these simple tips in mind:
- Keep low calorie healthy snacks like fresh fruit and vegetables, low fat granola bars, nuts, string cheese, and low fat yogurt, in the house or at your office.
- Take a little time each week to prepare fruits and cut vegetables so they are quick and easy to eat when hunger strikes. Wash and slice bell peppers, clean some broccoli florets, slice a cantaloupe.
- Portion it out. On Sunday, portion out some of your snacks in small, zipper, snack bags for the week. For instance, portion out about 15 mini pretzels, 12 wheat crackers, or 1/3 cup of trail mix. By portioning ahead, you will know you will have calorie control when you grab the snack.
- Drink more water throughout your day particularly if you are becoming more physically active. Keep a glass with you throughout the day and with snacks and meals.
- Include more fiber in your snack choices. You need about 25 grams a day. Consuming five servings of fruits and vegetables daily will supply you with about ten grams of fiber, so including these foods for at least one snack a day will help meet your goal. Always increase your fiber intake gradually along with an increase in your fluid intake.
When hunger strikes avoid grabbing whatever you can find and assure you have a variety of healthy snacks on hand. Planning makes all the difference!
About the Blogger:
Rosanne Rust is a Registered Dietitian and co-author of The Hypertension Cookbook for Dummies, The Glycemic Index Cookbook for Dummies, The Calorie Counter Journal for Dummies and The Restaurant Calorie Counter for Dummies. Learn more about Rosanne and how you can work with her on your own nutrition goals!