I originally created this recipe years ago and then my husband hijacked it and created his own twist. It’s now his thing. He makes this recipe every weekend so we have a quick breakfast or snack for the week. All my kids like it, even my pickiest eater. There are about 10 foods she’ll eat and this granola makes the list. Heck…everyone we know loves this granola. We even made it one year to give out as holiday gifts because our family requested it.
This recipe is a healthier granola than you may find in the grocery store. It’s lower in sugar, the oats make it high in fiber and the almonds and pumpkin seeds provide protein, nutrients and healthy fats. My mother has a huge sweet tooth and loves to eat this as her night time snack even though it’s considerably less sugar than other recipes.
During the holiday rush this is a great recipe to make over the weekend so you have a quick, grab and go breakfast every morning or as a great after school snack for the kids. It also makes a great holiday gift to give to friends and family. Just place the granola in a decorative mason jar, throw on a bow and voila!
This recipe comes together easily but you do need to stir it often during cooking for even browning. You can cook until how dark you like but we like to push it turning the color pretty dark brown, as seen in the image above, while not burning it. The toasty flavor is something special.
Use this recipe for a quick week day breakfast, snack or package up to give as gifts.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the oats, almonds, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and then set the mixture aside.
- Mix the honey, oil, and vanilla until it reaches a smooth consistency. Pour the honey mixture into the oats mixture and mix together until the oat mixture is well coated.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown, mixing every 15 minutes so the granola cooks evenly. Remove the granola from the oven and let it cool.
- Serve with fresh or dried fruit, yogurt or milk
- Store in an airtight container.