Summer is a time for long days of play in the sun followed up by relaxing evenings with friends and family. It’s also the time to put fresh fruit on pretty much everything. Seriously. Summer fruits are the best of the year with enough variety to have something different each day. I am always looking for the fruit angle. I add it to salads, make it into a salsa to go with fish or meat, or just big bowls of fruit salad.
My good friend who is also my neighbor shared a bite of a quinoa salad she made the other day that had fresh peaches in it. Wow…there was something about those peaches that made a simple quinoa dish into something fresh and sweet. I didn’t have her ingredients on hand so came up with my own version that I’m in love with. I added a little spicy arugula to balance the sweetness of the peaches and bitterness of the quinoa. Using a small dash of my favorite go-to Balsamic Honey Mustard Vinaigrette tied it together beautifully.
The second day…when those sweet peaches and tangy dressing get soaked up by the quinoa….yum (for lack of better word). Since the quinoa provides a complete protein and I also added some pine nuts this makes a nice meal all on it’s own that I found myself looking forward to each day.
If you need a new simple twist on quinoa and love fresh peaches, give this recipe a try. It’s easy, healthy and full of flavor.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh peaches, diced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Balsamic Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (see link to recipe above)
- ¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions with the stock. Be sure to lightly toast the quinoa in cooking pan before adding liquid to decrease the bitter flavor of the quinoa.
- Remove cooked quinoa from the pan into a serving bowl and let completely cool.
- Once cooled, add the arugula, peaches and pine nuts and toss with a small amount of dressing. Very little dressing is needed so start with a teaspoon or two.
- Serve and enjoy!