Summer time takes me out to my grill often. I love the ease of cooking an entire meal at once and simply being outside. With young kids at home burgers are a staple on our summer menu. I love all burgers; beef, bison, salmon or turkey. The challenge with turkey burgers is turkey is a lean meat and without the fat it can result in dry, tasteless burgers. Unlike beef patties you have to cook turkey patties until completely cooked, which also adds an element of dryness. Turkey burgers just need a little more love and attention so they can turn out to be full of flavor and juicy just like a beef patty.
1. Make your own patties. While there are a few tricks you can use to make a pre-made turkey patty moist, it’s not the best. Instead of buying pre-made, buy a package of ground turkey meat and follow the following steps.
2. Add moisture through vegetables. One of the best tricks for helping out a dry turkey patty is to add vegetables that release moisture when they’re cooking. Onions, zucchini and mushrooms are a great combination. Have you ever sauteed mushrooms and seen the amount of liquid that’s leftover? You can add all that tasty juice to your burger by adding finely chopped veggies to the ground turkey and mix together. You also get the added benefit of more flavor.
3. Add moisture through sauces. Combining your favorite Barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce to the ground turkey adds moisture and great flavor. The trick is to add sauces to the ground turkey and mix together before you make your patties and then baste while cooking.
See my favorite go to recipe below or try your own combination
- One pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (if turkey meat is very lean you can add more)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of Smoked Paprika
- Warm grill to medium high heat. Blend all ingredients together except the Smoked paprika. Make 4 patties and sprinkle each patty with smoked paprika.
- Cook patties on the grill until cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve with favorite burger fixings!