The corn is slowly starting to pop up on the grocery store shelves, which makes my heart sing. Nothing signifies summer like fresh corn on the cob and with that comes my all time favorite summer salad, Grilled Corn with Tomatoes and Avocados.
This is one of those recipes that let’s the ingredients do the talking. It uses very little dressing but the flavors are amazing. The secret? It’s the rosemary grilled corn. By placing a few sprigs of fresh Rosemary in the tin foil before you roll up your corn for grilling you get this amazing flavor that infuses into the corn.
Pairing rosemary and corn? Who knew. I didn’t until I spent the weekend with my friend Anne Etheridge on her boat on the North Carolina coast. She picked some rosemary right off the side of the road (the high sprigs of course) and grilled it with the corn. Ever since, I’ve never eaten grilled corn any other way.
Next I came up with this salad that gets rave reviews every time I serve it. This is a great way to get more plant foods on your summer table. Just make sure not to omit the rosemary part, that’s what makes this salad oh, so special.
- 4 ears of fresh corn on the cob, shucked and cleaned
- 8 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- ⅓rd cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, ripe but still somewhat firm, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat
- Place one corn on the cob onto a piece of aluminum foil, add 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary on either side and roll tightly to cover corn. Repeat with the remainder of the corn.
- Grill corn in the foil on medium-high heat, turning frequently to cook evenly until cooked to desired texture, around 15 minutes. Remove foil packets from the grill. Remove corn from the foil and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Slice the corn off the cob with a sharp knife into a medium sized bowl. Add the onions, avocados and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over corn mixture and mix until all ingredients are well blended. Serve immediately.
Meri Raffetto is the founder of Real Living Nutrition, triplet mom, dog butler and author of the Glycemic Index Diet for Dummies® and coauthor of Glycemic Index Cookbook for Dummies® and Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Dummies®.