I love oatmeal. There’s something wonderful about a hot breakfast all year round and oatmeal in particular is easy, inexpensive and versatile. You can create many different flavor profiles and never get bored. That’s what happened with this recipe. I sort of fell into it.
Even though I know coconut milk and coconut oil are somewhat trendy right now I’m not a fan of the strong coconut flavor in everything. I had some leftover coconut milk from making tropical smoothies so decided to add just a touch to my oats while cooking. I knew I’d love a banana with the coconut flavor, which I happened to have on hand and for some strange reason I grabbed the allspice. I was reaching for the cinnamon but the strong flavor of the allspice was calling my name. I topped it off with some salty pistachios and it all just worked.
Besides a tasty breakfast, I also managed to make a high fiber, high nutrient one with the combination of oats, banana and pistachios. Just another way to make oatmeal a bit more exciting.
- ½ cup oats (if using steel cut oats change to ¼ cup)
- ½ cup vanilla coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼th teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar (can use honey)
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tablespoon crushed pistachios
- ½ banana, sliced
- Cook the oatmeal in the water and coconut milk according to the package directions (cooking time depends on what type of oats you're using)
- Once cooked, mix in the brown sugar and allspice
- Top with sliced banana and crushed pistachios